Damp, mould and preventing condensation in your home – find out more


If you are struggling to walk upstairs help is at hand. The first thing to do is contact your doctor who will assess whether you may benefit from a stair lift or any other home adaptation.

An occupational therapist, a specialist who helps people having difficulty with daily tasks, will need to visit you to make a detailed assessment of your needs. They will advise whether you could apply for a ‘disabled facilities grant’ from your local council.

If this grant is approved then the council will ask their contractors to undertake the work. However, before any work starts we will need to give permission for any alternations to your home. This permission is via a formal process; from the council to us, as the landlord, to approve.

We may need to discuss the work further with you prior to granting permission.

If we give permission for a stair lift to be installed we will maintain it after the 12-month guarantee period is over.

We have over 50 stair lifts and seven through-floor lifts in our homes which all need servicing every six months so we will need access to carry out these checks.

Information on disabled facilities grants

Minor adaptations

These include grab rails to a bath, shower or beside a toilet, or lever taps. We will carry out minor adaptations, costing up to £1,000 (which includes labour, materials and tax if applicable). You do not need a referral from an occupational therapist for aids and adaptations, but sometimes the process begins with a referral from one.

Make a request

Cookie Settings