Sign up to MyRaven today and reap the benefits of managing your account online, when it suits you! Sign up

Universal Credit is the benefit that supports you if you are on a low income or out of work.

It replaces income-based Jobseekers’ Allowance, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Working Tax Credit, Child Tax Credit and Housing Benefit.

Seek sound advice before you apply for Universal Credit because not everyone is entitled to it and once you apply for it previous benefits will stop and there is no going back.

If you live in temporary or supported accommodation, you may need to claim Housing Benefit for help with your rent as well as Universal Credit for your living costs.

Everyone on one of the old benefits will have to claim Universal Credit by the end of 2023-24.

We have an easy, step by step tool for Universal Credit claimants to help you through the application process.

Universal Credit support tool

To find out if you are ready to claim Universal Credit, the Department for Work and Pensions have prepared this short online questionnaire, click the button below to complete it:

DWP online questionnaire

You can find out more about Universal Credit here.

  • You need to claim and manage Universal Credit payments online here. If you are classed as a vulnerable person or not computer literate, you should apply via the Department for Work and Pension’s telephone service: 0800 328 5644.
  • You must have a bank, building society or credit union account.
  • You need an email address and mobile number.
  • You will need to make any claim for Council Tax support separately to your local council so contact them for further information.

If you do not have a computer at home, you can try accessing one free of charge at:

Please be aware that:

  • You must apply as a couple if you and your partner live together – you do not need to be married or in a civil partnership.
  • You must respond to all requests for information on your claim otherwise your application will be closed.

Monthly in arrears as one payment per household, directly into your bank, building society or credit union account.

  • Your Universal Credit will be paid directly to you. This means you are responsible for paying your rent on time to us. If you currently receive Housing Benefit your council may pay your rent directly to us. If your Housing Benefit is paid direct to you, you will pay your rent to us.
  • The easiest way is to pay your rent is by direct debit, see paying my rent and charges to set this up.
  • Please contact your income officer before applying for your Housing Element (rent) part of Universal Credit to be paid directly to us.
  • If you are struggling to pay your rent then please speak with your income officer.

You will have to wait at least five weeks for your first payment. You can ask for an advance payment to help you manage but will need to pay this back a bit at a time from future payments. Please let us know if you need support, such as a food bank parcel. You can contact the Moneywise team by completing the form via the MyRaven customer portal.

Request Moneywise support

Our Moneywise team can help you make a claim. To request support please complete the form via the MyRaven customer portal.

Request Moneywise support

You can also visit your local Citizens Advice, or call them on 0800 144 8444.

Cookie Settings