Homes for Ukraine – FAQ’s

Raven is pleased to be able to support you to join the Government’s Homes for Ukraine scheme if you wish to offer a room.

See link to find out more about the Government’s scheme to house families from Ukraine: Homes for Ukraine – Homes for Ukraine – Local Sponsorship Scheme for Ukraine (

The scheme’s FAQ’s can be found here: Homes for Ukraine scheme: frequently asked questions – GOV.UK (

What this means for you as a Raven resident

I own my property, can I house someone from Ukraine in my spare room?

If you are a leaseholder or shared owner, you don’t need permission to house someone in your spare room, so you can just go ahead and register, but please let us know you have done so.

Remember, if you are a shared owner, your lease does not allow you to move out and sublet your whole property to someone else.

If you live in an older person’s leasehold scheme, your lease prevents you from offering a room.

I’m a tenant, can I house someone from Ukraine in my spare room?

If you are a tenant, you need our permission to take in a lodger or offer a room through the scheme. Most tenancy agreements allow a lodger, but there are some restrictions.

You need to make sure your home won’t be overcrowded, and you can offer the room for a minimum of 6 months.

If you live in sheltered accommodation, you would only be able to house someone who meets the  age restrictions where you live.

If you live in temporary accommodation, have less than 6 months left on a tenancy, have been served with a Notice of Seeking Possession, or have a Court Order, you won’t be able to house someone as the accommodation cannot be guaranteed for at least 6 months.

We may need to visit to check your accommodation is suitable before we give permission.

Contact to request permission. Please make sure permission is granted before applying to the Homes for Ukraine scheme.

What am I liable for?

Whilst Raven can support you by giving permission, you remain our tenant and we will only deal with you in relation to the property. You will be responsible for your lodger / sponsored household directly within the Government scheme.

Can I charge them rent?

No, under the terms of the scheme, you cannot charge them rent, but the Government is offering £350 per month as a thank you to households who offer rooms through the scheme. There is more information about this on the Government website.

Will this affect my benefits?

The £350 offer is a thank you and should not affect most benefits, however, you need to let DWP and  /or your local authority know you are taking part in the scheme. They will be able to advise you if there is any impact on your benefits.

What do I do next to join the scheme?

If you want to proceed, you need to go to the Homes for Ukraine – Homes for Ukraine – Local Sponsorship Scheme for Ukraine ( website and register your interest.

There are also some resources to find out how to match with a family:  How can I offer a UK home to Ukrainian refugees? – BBC News

Cookie Settings