Key areas in the Housing Ombudsman Handling Code
- Universal definition of a complaint.
- Providing easy access to the complaints procedure and ensuring residents are aware of it, including their right to access the Housing Ombudsman Service.
- The structure of the complaints procedure – only two stages necessary and clear timeframes set out for responses.
- Ensuring fairness in complaint handling with a resident-focused process.
- Taking action to put things right and appropriate remedies.
- Creating a positive complaint handling culture through continuous learning and improvement.
- Demonstrating learning in Annual Reports.
- The Code is part of the Ombudsman’s new powers in the revised Housing Ombudsman Scheme.
Landlords were asked to self-assess against the Code, which was recently updated in 2023, and publish the results. We have been working with customers throughout this process and since the last self-assessment, on areas where there was room for improvement.
Here is our response to the most recent self-assessment Raven HT response to revised Complaint Code SA 2023.docx.
More details on the updated Complaint Handling Code can be found on the Housing Ombudsman website.