Moneywise team’s top 10 tips for saving money on energy
This Talk Money Week, we’re looking at ways you can save money on energy at home.
Here are our Moneywise team’s top tips:
- Using an indoor airer (or outdoor clothes line) is free. If you use a heated airer, it’s cheaper than a tumble dryer and could save you around £55 a year on average. If you do need to use a tumble dryer, use a lower heat setting, don’t overload it and use some energy-saving dryer balls to separate wet clothes to speed up drying.
- Switch to energy savings lightbulbs. Also, remember to switch off appliances at the wall when you’re not using them instead of leaving them in standby mode.
- When cooking, use low-energy kitchen appliances like an air fryer, microwave or slow cooker instead of your main oven to cut your energy costs.
- Cook meals in batches, divide them into portions and freeze them. This reduced energy use as you won’t need to cook as often, just thaw in the fridge and heat through thoroughly.
- Only put the amount of water you need in the kettle, not the full kettle for just one cup of tea. You can fill up a cup of water and pour it into the kettle to make sure you have just the right amount.
- Thermal lined curtains help to keep your warmth in your home along with draught excluders and radiator foils.
- Lower your thermostat by even 1 degree will reduce energy costs. Aim to keep it around 21 degrees to keep your energy bills down.
- Check comparison websites to find better deals on energy, mobile phone plans, insurance and broadband. Staying loyal to one provider doesn’t always pay off!
- Regularly check your bank statements to make sure you aren’t paying for something you had set up some time ago and forgotten about as no long need or use.
- Wash clothes for 30 minutes at 30 degrees, or even just reducing the temperature will reduce energy consumption.
We’re here to help!
We hope you’ve found these tips useful. Remember, we’re here to guide you with budgeting and checking your eligibility for any benefits or grants you maybe entitled to. Even if you’re working, there may still be some benefits you’re entitled to. In the year 2022-23, the Moneywise team supported customers to apply for benefits and grants totalling £1.58 million – and they can help you too!
The support from our Moneywise team is free and completely confidential. You can arrange an initial chat with them through your MyRaven online account or by calling 0300 123 3399. Find out more about Moneywise here.