Making improvements to your home

You can carry out many types of improvements to your home, but before you do any work you always need our written permission.

You must also get any other permissions which are needed, such as planning permission or building regulations approval from the Council. Sometimes you are able to claim compensation for some of what you spent on certain home improvements when you move out of your home.

You may also be able to make changes so your home is more suitable for someone with a disability who lives with you. A grant may be available from the Council for this.


Under no circumstances can you start any improvements or alterations before we issue our formal approval to you. Please make sure anyone acting on your behalf, such as a contractor, does not start any work without your knowledge. Planning permission or building regulation approval is not sufficient to being the works.


Application for permission to carry our alterations

Please download, complete and send the application to us:


Download application