Money Matters

Managing your money - help and advice

From time to time we can all struggle with juggling our finances. Our Moneywise team are able to help you to maximise your income and suggest ways in which you might be able to reduce your expenditure.

Our Moneywise team can help you with:

  • Applying for benefits that you might be entitled to
  • Challenging decisions about benefits that are wrong
  • Applying for grants – including grants to help you pay utility bills
  • Understanding your spending and suggesting ways to reduce your expenditure
  • Comparing your current utility providers with a range of others to see if you could get a better deal
  • Opening a bank account
  • Accessing other organisations that might be able to help you

If you are faced with overwhelming debt, then Moneywise can help you look at your options for dealing with your debts. They can also assist you with negotiating with your creditors and are licenced by the FCA to provide debt advice (FRN 631440).

We also work with Reigate and Banstead Citizens Advice Bureau to ensure that resident facing overwhelming debt can get help with things like dealing with bailiffs or debt relief orders (DRO).

You can contact the Moneywise Team on 0300 123 3399 or


Moneywise Outreach - Thursdays 10:00am - 13:00pm

Do you need help with checking what benefits you are entitled to? Applying for benefits? Budgeting or debt advice?

Every Thursday from 10:00am - 13:00pm we run a Moneywise Outreach session at the Merstham Community Hub on Portland Drive. No need to book - just drop in and see us.

For more information contact the Moneywise Team.


Some items of expenditure should be prioritised over others. This is because of the consequences for not paying them:


Type of debt

What could happen if you don’t pay

Rent, mortgage or service charges

Could lose home

Council tax

Could have money taken from wages or benefits, bailiffs could seize possessions, could go to prison

TV licence

Could have money taken from wages or benefits, bailiffs could seize possessions, could go to prison

Electricity or gas

Supply could be cut off

Magistrates court fine

Could go to prison

Water bills


Catalogues, credit cards, overdrafts, personal loans, store cards etc.

Could be sued in the count court, likely to affect credit rating


If you are on a low income you may also be entitled to a reduction in your water charges. The water company serving your area administers the scheme and you should approach them for an application.

If you are struggling to pay your rent then you should contact your Raven Income Officer on 0300 123 3399 or email