Universal Credit - How is it paid

It is paid monthly in arrears as one payment per household, directly into your bank, building society or credit union account.

How is rent paid if I’m on Universal Credit?

  • The amount included in your Universal Credit will be paid straight to you. This means you will become responsible for paying your rent on time. You have to make rent payments to us (at the moment, if you receive Housing Benefit, your council pays your rent directly to us)
  • The easiest way is to pay by Direct Debit. A quick call to your Income Officer or the Customer Services centre will set one up for you.
  • You can also check your rent account balance and pay rent manually online at a time that suits you via MyRaven.
  • Even if you have special needs, we advise you not to request a Direct Payment to the Landlord without first agreeing this with your Income Officer at Raven.
  • If you do not pay your full rent amount on time, you could end up losing your home.

How can I get ready for Universal Credit?

To find out more about what you need to do to get ready for Universal Credit, check out this short online questionnaire from the Department of Work and Pensions.

Help while waiting for your first payment

After making your claim you will have to wait at least five weeks for your first payment. You can ask for an advance of Universal Credit to help you manage until then. You will need to pay back your advance a bit at a time from your future Universal Credit payments.

Please let us know if you require a foodbank parcel.

Managing your money

You can use budget planners to help you work out how much money you will have each month and keep track of where you will spend it.

The Money Advice Service and Shelter both have budget calculators that could help.

It might be a good idea for you to open a separate bank account to receive your Universal Credit payment. This way, your payment would not be mixed up with your current cash.

Help from Raven Housing Trust

If you are struggling with Universal Credit, or with paying your rent, please speak to us as soon as possible. We want to help you to remain in your home and can assist in a number of ways such as:

  • Agreeing a repayment plan with you if you are in arrears
  • Speaking to the Local Authority on your behalf if you are having problems with Housing Benefit
  • Referring you for in-house benefit and money advice to ensure you are getting all that you are entitled to
  • Giving you advice about downsizing if you are affected by the bedroom tax.

Through our in-house teams and partnerships with local support agencies, we can offer help with a range of issues including benefits advice, managing your money, dealing with debts, digital support and help to get into work.

Contact the Moneywise Team on Tel: 0300 123 3399 or email moneywise@ravenht.org.uk. You can also access more detailed information about Universal Credit via https://www.understandinguniversalcredit.gov.uk/